Friday, February 5, 2010

Day 1-2: Katherine and Tennant Creek

 
Lights! Camera! Action! Wiggles!

That's a line from Ryan's favourite Wiggles song which is fitting given he wanted to watch the DVD as soon as we got in the car (I guess I should have charged the battery after all)!

We got off to a late start given we only had a short drive to Katherine with an obligatory stop in Adelaide River on the way.

We had intended to go on a Gorge cruise however it departed at 3pm and I didn't realise that it was another 30km out of town!!

Instead we checked into the hotel and had fun creating 5% space efficiency in the trailer - apparently Kylie doesn't like being packed into the car surrounded by crates like a Tetris game......

We had dinner at Galloping Jacks Steakhouse (and had steak of course) and Ryan kept trying to convince us that there was a horse in the restaurant. He was most unimpressed that we didn't believe him.

As we were leaving we noticed a motorbike frame in the window that had a saddle on it and had been made up to look like a horse........he delighted in reminding us about the horse at breakfast.......

Today we headed off for a longer drive - onto Tennant Creek, about 700km away. I hooked up the portable DVD player to keep Ryan amused with the Wiggles - and then put my iPod on so that I didn't have to listen to it for 2 hours....

Traffic was very light - we only saw another car every half an hour or so and no road trains at all!

We stopped at Larrimah to stretch our legs and I got a good photo of Ryan with a giant Pink Panther sitting next to an even bigger bottle of beer.





Elliot came and went (frankly as it should - not a lot to see and do there - and no petrol at BP!!) and we made good time getting into Tennant Creek in the mid afternoon.

And good news, another 5% space efficiency in the trailer - now I can put the car fridge in the back of the car where the second 12V point is (yes Kylie, you were right - late model cars do put an extra point in the back)!

Rest Stops – Adelaide River, Larrimah, Elliott, Renner Springs

Accommodation – All Seasons (Katherine) and Outback Caravan Park (Tennant Creek)
 

1 comment: