Saturday, February 6, 2010

Day 3 – Mount Isa

 
The picture below tells it all – hundreds of kilometres of flat, straight country along the Barkly Highway from Three Ways to the QLD border………



We passed less than a dozen cars or trucks (all going the other way – no-one going our way) in about 5 hours – lucky we didn’t break down or it could have been quite a wait! The road across to QLD wasn’t as bad as we had expected.

There were very few stops along the way, basically Barkly Homestead, about 250km from Three Ways and then Camooweal, another 250km……

We came along two other places, both basically a shed with large signs stating ‘Sorry, No Fuel Here’ so luckily I filled up at Barkly Homestead after all……

Mount Isa is pleasant enough, although we’re trying to get used to shops being shut on a Saturday afternoon (we think maybe a QLD standard) – god only knows what will be open in the morning.

We went to the Buff Club for dinner and Ryan had fun playing on the indoor playground and eating the ice cream the staff were only too pleased to offer him……

And for those of you who are wondering, no additional efficiency in the trailer today (I know, I'm disappointed too) - and no, I didn't just chuck stuff away, I'm getting better (and quicker) at packing and unpacking!!

Quiz Question – We drove through Three Ways twice - once on the way to and once on the way from our accommodation at Tennant Creek, but I saw Three Ways 4 times. How? You’ll have to use the FRONT and BACK of your brains to work this one out…………

Rest Stops – Barkly Homestead, Camooweal

Accommodation – Argylla Tourist Park (Big 4 Caravan Park)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment